Sunday, October 10, 2010

Selfish

Thinking about food choices seems to be a far-fetched idea. I open the pantry, the refrigerator, and the menu and pick whatever seems to be most appealing at the time. Sometimes I chose to make a salad, or times I go straight for the potato chips, and then there are those times I just stare into oblivion hoping that the food will jump at me.

When making food choices I look to my stomach. As selfish as that may sound, I do not take much else into consideration. When it comes to my eating habits, it’s all about me. Whatever I want I eat. Often times I regret those decisions when I am forced to run for an extra thirty minutes or when the stomach wrenching pain kicks in, but in that moment I am selfish.

There are times that I do stop and think about my eating choices. Sometimes I will consider the effects of a piece of cake despite how much am I craving it or the fat-free versus low fat dressing on the salad, but once again it goes back to my own selfishness. I do not stop myself from eating one thing because of its environmental impact, but rather I stop myself from eating a food because of the direct consequences it will have in my life.

Despite my selfishness, I realize that change needs to occur. While eating can be an enjoyable pastime and of course a necessity, it does not need to be a selfish act. The food we consume comes from around the country, and sometimes even the world. The fruits often times have travelled the world and experienced more foreign countries than I have. While this phenomenon allows me to eat kiwis in January, it has effects on the environment and changes the industrial food system of this country. The pollution emitted into the environment to preserve the kiwi long enough to transport it to the United States to satisfy my craving in January is tremendous. The chemicals used to keep the kiwi green must have some kind effect on my body, but it does not stop me from eating the kiwi.

World-travelling fruit has greatly affected the domestic food industry. The farms in the United States focus on mainly one crop: corn. The ability to bring in produce from other countries changes the grand scheme of farm production. Farms focus on what can be grown efficiently and at the least expense. Corn has infiltrated our country’s food system and can be found in almost every product. We are longer dependent on growing our own produce and can now focus our time on corn.

When I open the pantry next will I stop and actively think about my food choice? Probably. I will consider it, but I can’t be sure that my selfishness will not get the best of me. I understand the environmental impacts of my selfishness, but sometimes the kiwi in January or the corn-infested potato chip is the perfect fix to a long day. I understand that my choices will not change completely. I am realistic enough to admit that I do no always make the best food choices, both for the environment, and myself but I do not know how much that will change. I say now that I will only buy locally, or eat organic but much like other people in this country I have trained to want whatever I want, and get it any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment